Anniversary

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, October 30, 2010

How do you fix a broken pumpkin?

Well, hello there to all my friends! It's been a very busy fall for us Kuehls. Ryan calls it our "10 week Kuehl road tour", but it's really longer than that.

This year at school, I'm in the special needs room, but I'm also job coaching a student. This is Sean, he works at Orthopedic Associates of Kankakee (or OAK). He works in the billing department, scanning papers. He is also a published author. He wrote a children's book, "Paddy's First Day at Hilltop School". It about a muskrat with cerebral palsy, which is what he has. He's a really great kid. This is us just before the Homecoming parade.

The next week was a District quiz, and the beginning of the road tour. Our first quiz, my team took 9th place, which wasn't so bad, but I felt they could have done better. The other teams took 2nd and 5th. (This was on Sept. 11th) So the District quiz on Oct 9th, my team took 4th place. And the other teams were 1st and 6th. Needless to say I'm very proud of our quizzers.

Our next stop, wasn't even a destination, but it sure took a lot of energy and stress from us. I'm talking about QUIZFEST! Oh, yeah! This is the quiz tournament that my own dear hubby directs. This year we had it at our church, instead of College Church. College Church has hosted Quizfest for 20 years, but they don't have a team anymore, and we are just more comfortable at our church. Plus we have more room and thus can have more teams. We had from 350-400 teens and adults at our church. It was amazing.

I finally got to quiz myself this year. Ryan has brought back "Old Timers" quizzing. It's for those quizzers who are too old to be in quizzing (or out of high school). My team (pictured below) was me, Sara (the other coach) and Daley (she was a quizzer last year, and is a freshman at Olivet, so not really "old"). We had one of our current quizzers be our coach. I concentrated on the memory verses. And I jumped and correctly answered three questions, two verse questions and one according to question. I'm not sure if I want to do this again. We'll see.


As for my team that I coached... we place 5th in the Novice division. Wahoo! Go K3 1st!


Our Experience team place 6th! Wahoo! Go Kankakee First!


In the midst of all this quizzing fun, my sister-in-law gave birth to my niece, Delaney Elizabeth. My nephew, August (and Delaney's older brother) turned 5 on Oct. 4th, And Delaney was born on Oct. 5th. But with all our quizzing engagements we weren't able to see her for a couple weeks. She was our third stop on the the road tour.

I'm a very proud auntie. I love her to pieces already. Damen (Ryan's older brother) and Stacey didn't find out what they were having, so I was able to make a blanket in advance. So when Ryan called me to tell me it was a girl, I immediately began planning what color I would use to make her blanket. I used a dark pink, a light pink, and a light gray. I think it turned out very pretty.


Isn't she such a cutie?!? I love this picture of her. Ryan's holding her and she's looking up at him like, "So, you're my Uncle Ryan?" Oh, I could just hug her all day.


And of course, we can't forget August!


This week's road trip stop is here in town. It's Olivet's Homecoming. We always have a blast watching the games and catching up with friends we haven't seen in a while. The basketball game was a great one against Point Loma Nazarene University. We won by 11, but it was really a closer game than that. After the game was the Taste of Olivet. The highlight of that was the Candy Bar. There were bags to fill up with all kinds of candy. Ryan was literally a kid in a candy store. Hahahahaha! This afternoon is the football game. I hope it's a good game and not a slaughter, meaning the other team slaughtering us.

Our upcoming stops on the Kuehl Road Tour are as follows:
  • Nov 5-7 Olathe, Kansas for the Olathe Quiz Tournament (and to see family)
  • Nov 13th Manteno, Illinois for a District Quiz
  • Nov 19-21 Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo, Michigan for the Michigan Tournament (and to see family)
  • Nov 25-28 Tennesee for Thanksgiving.
  • Dec 3-4 St. Louis for the St. Louis All-Stars Tournament
  • Dec 11th Gilman, Illinois for a District Quiz
  • Dec 18th Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
And that brings us right up to Christmas and New Year's. Whew!

~Lori

Oh, and how do you fix a broken pumpkin?............With a pumpkin patch! (Thanks August for the wonderful jokes!)

0 comments: